General Policies | Program Area Policies
Using the principles of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility as a guide, the YMCA of Dane County has developed general policies to ensure the well-being and safety of all patrons.
Appropriate attire includes swimming suits only in the pool area and shoes and shirts
in all other areas of the facility. Clothing with vulgar or profane wording or pictures is not allowed.
Each member is expected to conduct themselves in a socially acceptable manner while on YMCA grounds or in YMCA programs. Fighting, theft, vandalism, abusive language, concealing weapons, use of alcohol or drugs or any other conduct of an inappropriate nature can result in suspension of membership privileges or other disciplinary action. YMCA staff has full authority to enforce building policies.
Emergency and Accident Procedures
Emergency: In an emergency-fire, dangerous weather, mechanical failure - the staff will implement emergency procedures. Members are asked to follow directions of the staff.
Accident: In the event of an accident or injury please alert the desk. An accident report will be completed and kept on file. The YMCA does not provide personal medical insurance for members. Participation accidents are the responsibility of the member.
Food and Beverages
Please keep all food and beverages in the vending/lobby areas, and out of the program areas.
Lost and Found
Lost items may be claimed at the desk. Wallets, watches, rings etc. will be secured. Items are held for four weeks then donated to local non-profit organizations. The YMCA is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
The YMCA sells a variety of swimming accessories and seasonal apparel at the desk.
By action of the Board of Directors, a no smoking policy has been adopted for YMCA program centers, childcare sites and outdoor areas.
The YMCA of Dane County encourages all participants to consult with a physician before beginning any form of exercise.
Supervision of Children
The YMCA requires that all children under the age of seven have adult supervision at all times. Children under the age of 15 cannot be left at the YMCA later than closing time. If the child is left 30 minutes after closing time, the police will be called. We urge you to have a system in place for picking up your children.
Program Area Policies
Due to limited facilities, all policies and benefits may not apply at the Sun Prairie YMCA. Please call the Sun Prairie branch for details at 837.8221.
- Appropriate gym attire is required at all times.
- Children are not permitted in the gym during times scheduled for adult classes.
- Please follow the gym schedule for each session. Schedules are subject to change without advanced notice. Schedules are available at desk.
- Food or drink is not permitted in the gym.
- Family gym is open to families only. One parent must be in the gym with their children at all times.
- Dunking or hanging on the rims is not permitted.
- During open gym, full court basketball will be up to the discretion of the YMCA staff.
- The gym supervisor and the Manager on Duty have full authority to enforce policies.
- Designated times are set-aside for members only.
The lifestyle center is open during regular building hours. Lifestyle center orientations are free and encouraged for all members. Members under the age of 18 are required to take the Teen Strength and Conditioning class. Youth 12 and under are not allowed in the lifestyle center.
Lifestyle Center Policies
- Be respectful of other members using the lifestyle center equipment.
- Please use cardiovascular equipment for a maximum of 30 minutes.
- Please wipe down equipment after use.
- Please wear appropriate attire including clean, dry athletic shoes, shirt and shorts. Sandals are not allowed.
- Use of a water bottle is encouraged. Food and other beverages are not allowed into the lifestyle center.
- Work out bags should be kept in the locker room.
Personal Fitness Room
The personal fitness room is open to "Personal Fitness" participants only. This is a special room designated for new fitness enthusiasts to become acclimated to both the strength and cardiovascular equipment. If you are interested in this free program for members please contact the fitness director.
Each time you use the facility bring a lock to lock you clothes and valuables in a locker. Long lockers are for daily use only. Please take you lock with you when you leave so others can use the locker. The YMCA is not responsible for lost or stolen articles. We recommend that you leave valuables at home or check them at the desk. Children over 5 years of age are asked to use gender appropriate youth locker room. No children are allowed in the adult locker rooms. The family locker rooms are available for all to use.
The swimming pool is open during regular business hours and there is always a lifeguard on duty. Pool temperature is 82-84°F. Programs in the swimming pool include open swim, lap swim, family swim, swimming lessons for all ages, water exercise and swim team programs for youth and adult.
- Soap showers must be taken before entering the pool or whirlpool.
- Proper swimsuits must be worn. Gym shorts and T-shirts are not allowed.
- Spitting, spouting of water, blowing the nose or otherwise introducing contaminates into the pool is not allowed.
- Running on the deck is not allowed.
- Keep off lane lines.
- Gum, candy, food, drink, tobacco and glass are not allowed.
- Diving into water 8 feet deep or less or off the diving blocks is not allowed.
- Jumping backwards and flips are not allowed.
- Equipment may be used at the discretion of the lifeguard.
- Non-swimmers are to remain in the shallow area.
- Safety rope dividing the shallow and deep water shall be up when patrons are in the pool.
- Lifeguards have full authority to enforce all policies.
- Rough play, chicken fights: shoulder rides, pushing, pulling, or dunking is not allowed.
- Soap, lotion or other substances are not permitted in or around the pool area that might interfere with efficient operation of the swimming pool.
- During family swim, children must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian in the pool.
- Diapers are not to be worn in the pool. Children who are not toilet trained must wear plastic pants swimming diapers or other swimming suits that have snug, elastic fitting leg and waistbands.
- Floatation devices must be kept in the shallow end.
- Inflatable devises are not allowed. Only coast guard approved floatation devices may be worn.
- Participants age 18 and over may participate in adult lap swim.
- During lap swim the pool is divided into sections.
The slide is available during family and open swim for swimmers who have passed the deep-water test.
- One swimmer on the slide at a time. Second swimmer must wait at the bottom of the steps of the slide.
- Swimmers should go down the slide feet first in a sitting position.
- Swimmers should not catch other swimmers going down the slide.
Deep Water Test
- Swimmers under the age of 18 must take a deep-water test.
- Deep-water test consists of swimming one length of the pool without stopping.
- Swimmers should pick up their bracelet at the desk.
- Whirlpool temperature is 102-104° F.
- Participants entering the whirlpool must be 18 years of age.
- Participants should avoid overheating by removing bathing caps and by keeping your head above the water.
- Shampoo, body oils or shaving is not allowed in the whirlpool.
- Showers must be taken before entering the whirlpool.
- Pregnant woman and persons with cardiac, repertory or blood pressure conditions should not use the whirlpool without first consulting a physician.
- 5-10 minute limit in the whirlpool is recommended.
- After exercising allow your pulse to return to normal before using the whirlpool.
top | home